Hey everybody, I’m Gary the Gecko
I’m an Aussie native gecko. I look pretty cute, but did you know I’m actually one of the biggest causes of air conditioners to break down?
You see, I’m cold-blooded so I like very warm places to snuggle into. I find sleeping on the electronic printed circuit board inside your air con very comfortable.
The only problem? My body can cause the printed circuit board to short circuit (fail) and this can end my life prematurely! Not good for your air conditioner (repairs can cost around $500!) and of course, not good for me.
How to Keep Geckos Out of Your Air Conditioner
I’m going to let you into a little secret. Here’s how to keep me away from your air conditioner:
- Mothballs – I hate the smell of mothballs.
- Lanolin – I hate the smell of lanolin.
- Vicks Vapour Rub – I am not a fan of this smell.
- Eggshells – Place these around your home and I’ll keep well away. Do not crush the eggshells, simply leave them in two halves. Leave two-halves at every entrance and I’ll get the message.
- Coffee and tobacco – This one isn’t so kind. This is a kind of gecko poison.
- Garlic cloves – Garlic’s strong odour isn’t just repellent to some humans, it’s also repellent to geckos, too! Leave a garlic clove around an outdoor entryway to keep me from entering that way ever again.
- Onions – Cut them up, place them around your outdoor unit, and I’ll run away from the smell.
- Cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce – Make a homemade pepper spray to shoo me away. Mix these ingredients in a spray bottle and spray the solution on the wall surrounding your air con.
You can keep me (and your air con) safe by putting these smells near your air con’s circuit board.
Here’s what you can do. Ask a professional to:
- Spray the printed printed circuit boards with lanolin
- Place moth balls inside the outdoor air conditioner
How To Stop Geckos From Getting In Your Air Conditioner
This is how you can do both of us a big favour. Next time you have your air conditioner serviced, insist on the Gecko treatment. I cannot guarantee that all geckos will be put off by the smells, but it will go a long way to reducing the risk of another gecko (my relative) getting fried on your printed circuit board.
Oh, and another tip. Have you noticed that most geckos hang out high on the walls? If you are getting a new air conditioner, I recommend putting the location for the outdoor unit closer to the ground. That way, I’ll find it a less tempting place to have my siesta.
How To Get Rid of Geckos in Air Conditioner
If I’ve already snuggled in, please be kind when you disturb me. I’d prefer the preventative methods first, followed by kinder ways of removing me such as shooing me away and spraying the area around your air con to stop me from returning.
Thanks a lot, mate!
Crown Power are authorised Daikin air conditioning specialists. Need help with a gecko treatment? We’re happy to answer any and all of your questions. Contact Crown Power today on 0427 175 654 (Brisbane & Sunshine Coast) or 0421 376 620 (Gold Coast).